Friday, February 28, 2014

Skye's The Limit

So Dani had been "bothering" me for quite some time to take a trip up to the Isle of Skye which is quite a ways north off the coast of Scotland. I kept being rather unsure about the situation because I was not super keen on renting a car and driving on the other side of the road.

Then it happened. There was a deal in February for the buses that you could travel anywhere in Scotland one way for 2 pounds. A normal ticket up to Skye was 40 pounds. So I gave in and we booked our getaway.

We left bright and early Monday morning for the 6 HOUR bus ride with Roman not really knowing what to expect. The first two hours were actually pretty great. Roman slept and we relaxed. However, no one would have guessed (including myself) that it wasn't Roman who had the difficult time on the way up but his dad. That's right…I didn't realize how many windy, bumpy, and hilly roads we would encounter on our journey. My motion sickness came on like a torrential downpour and I had to make a quick exist to the bathroom at the back of the bus where I lost a wee bit of lunch if you will! After that I felt a bit better and the rest of the journey was all about taking in the incredible scenery!

We got to Skye and because we arrived early and our room wasn't ready, they upgraded us and put us in a new room, which allowed Roman on a mattress on the floor all by himself! (He slept better in our hotel than he usually sleeps back him.)

We booked a scenic van tour around the island for the next day and it did not disappoint. I have never encountered such amazing scenery in my life. It all just shouted of God's magnificence and glory. Truly unforgettable. 14 stops all around the island each one seemed to top the next…wow is all I can say!

That evening we enjoyed our one nice meal in the restaurant at the hotel where I had an amazing 28 day aged prime rib sirloin…yummy! (you all know now of course, as if you didn't before, that Ben was writing this blog)

The trip home was a bit rough compared to the way up. I still had motion sickness but I was determined to not lose my dinner this time because it was expensive and delicious and to throw it up would have been such a waste. I succeeded in that department but still suffered for nearly the whole trip all while Roman was having a really tough time and only Dani around to entertain him. We hit a detour and a tree down which made it take us over 7 hours to get back!

Would I do it all again? Definitely…we had a great time up in Skye. We created memories and saw things that we will never forget. It baffles me that people don't immediately seen the hand of God in the wonders of His creation.

If you haven't already seen some of our photos we took, here is a little treat for you even though they don't do the place much justice!









You can go on Facebook and check out the full album of pictures of you would like to see more!

YOU ARE LOVED!

No comments:

Post a Comment